We do whatever it takes for children
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In South Africa and around the world, we work every day to give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. When crisis strikes, and children are most vulnerable, we are always among the first to respond and the last to leave. We ensure children’s unique needs are met and their voices are heard. We deliver lasting results for millions of children, including those hardest to reach.
We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Our core values
Accountability | Ambition | Collaboration | Creativity | Integrity | Ubuntu | Passion | Learning
Our five programme areas
- Holistic Early Childhood Care and Development Programme: Giving young children under five a safe, stimulating and quality early living and learning environment.
- Health and Nutrition Programme: Ensuring that no child under the age of five dies from preventable disease, and all children in South Africa will grow healthily and have long-term good health.
- Education Programme: Improving education so every child in South Africa receives a quality basic education.
- Child Protection Programme: Working to make sure all children in South Africa thrive in a safe environment free from violence.
- Children’s Rights Governance Programme: Advocating so that all children will benefit from a strengthened child-rights system that advances and monitors the realisation of their rights.
But we can’t do it on our own. Do something amazing! Become involved. Your donations will change lives forever.
Some shocking South African statistics:
70% of children live in the poorest households
60% of children have no early childhood development
60% of child deaths are associated with malnutrition
50% of the children who start school never make it to grade 12
80% of children attempt to learn in poorly resourced classrooms
50,000 children are victims of violent crime each year
26,000 cases of sexual offences against children are reported every year
Save the Children. Save Tomorrow.
Children are the foundation of the future of the African continent. The future depends on the investments we make in our children, especially at an early age. Our purpose therefore is to reach more children, and reach them early in life. We are determined to shape a South Africa in which every child attains the right to education, survival, protection, development and participation.
We can’t achieve our vision alone. Become a donor and help us build the partnerships required to change lives forever.